Thursday, May 21, 2015

{Spotlight Project} Monika Creates a Snowdrop Inspired Card


Hi, everyone. It's Monika with the promised spotlight post, the one inspired by Snowdrop. You might have been wondering what I meant with this. Well, Snowdrop is a Mersey Ferry operating between the Wirral, where I live, and the city of Liverpool. Earlier this year, she was given a make-over by Sir Peter Blake turning her into a Dazzle Ship. You can see pictures and read all about it here.

I first saw Snowdrop with her new look when she was featured in my local evening news around the time Shery had given us a little preview of the Mixed Media Grunge set. That's when the idea for this card was born.


I started off by deciding which stamps I wanted to use: Mixed Media Grunge, Vignette: Chevron and Arrows, and Vignette: Retro Mod Shapes. I then measured my chosen stamps to see what size my boxes for the grid needed to be and drew a grid outline in pencil marking on the reverse which stamps I wanted to use and where.



I then coloured my squares and rectangles using Promarkers, leaving some of them white before stamping and embossing my chosen stamps with apple red, gold satin, metallic gunmetal and white; some of the chevrons and arrows were simply stamped in black. The pencil marks were easily rubbed out after colouring before stamping. I then trimmed my panel down to size and layered on my black base card.
Tip! The key to this style of card lies in the preparation, mainly deciding on your stamps, drawing your grid pattern, and deciding on your colours.
As always, there is a video, which this time starts after the colouring of my squares.



That's it from me for today. As you probably noticed, it took me while to get my head around making this card and in the end it was all really easy thanks to copious amounts of embossing powder. Hope you'll be joining us for the stencil blog hop next week!

Hugs,
Monika xxx


Stamps Monika used in today's project:

      


Mixed Media Grunge is the April/May 2015 set in the STAMPlorations stamp club! We've got lots of perks, including free worldwide shipping, a free 4" by 6" stamp set sent every 3rd shipment (or immediately after signing up for the semi-annual subscription) and choice of 2 ARTplorations stencils ($10 value) in every stamp club package mailed out to subscribers! For more info and to sign up, click here.


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for May. We'll pick ONE (1) commenter to win a $10 gift certificate or her choice of 1 ARTplorations stencil. We'll announce the winner on the first week of June!

13 comments:

  1. The effect you achieved is just stunning. Not sure if I have enough of an attention span to pull something as intricate as this, off. Perhaps, I'll start small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting backdrop, and wow, that is quite a bit of time consuming project, but worth all the time spent, the end result is stunning Monika! thank you for the video!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous result from a lot of planning and work - well worth the effort. Thanks too for the link to the newspaper article, and learning that Sir Peter Blake was an artist, (not the NZ Sailor of the same name and title!)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoaaa...perfectly made! What a gorgeous piece of patience and art!
    Cheers!
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your card and the way you have designed it! It is fun to use different stamp sets to create one card and you have done it so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun card, and a perfect example of how inspiration can be found everywhere as long as you keep your eyes and mind open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool!! I LOVE how you used that article for your inspiration for this card!! This is a piece of art!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent tute Monika - I'm often at a dead lose as to how to use "those" stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow--this is quite a project--great showcase for the stamp set

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing how you made this amazing card:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW - so cool and such a fun project and I have one of those sets - might have to give this a go!!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)